Fun Day Monday – Getting Ready for Halloween!
Hi there, I hope that you’ve had a good weekend and have been getting up to lots of fun things with your little one.
We have started to get ready for Halloween here in my childminding service and at home with my little boy too. I have a few ideas up my sleeve for us to do this week so I shall try to update you as we go so that you can join in the fun too.
At the end of last week we started to make our ghostly garland which was lots of painting fun.
If you want to make a similar garland you will need the following:
- Black paper
- White paint
- A flat tray to put paint in
- Knife and potato peeler
- Apron for your little one
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Length of string or ribbon
- Hole puncher
and this is what you do:
- Firstly you will need to prepare the potato by cutting it in half and then cut out 2 circles for eyes by using the potato peeler. You will then need to cut out a zig zag pattern along the bottom of the potato to create the bottom of your ghost
- Pour some white paint into a shallow tray
- Put the apron on your little one and let them dip the potato into the white paint and then stamp it onto the black paper
- We made several sheets each but you can do as little or as many as you like
- Once the paint has dried you can embellish your ghosts by adding googly eyes
- Cut the ghosts out and then punch a couple of holes at the top of your ghost close to the edge
- Thread the string or ribbon through the holes of each ghost until they are all threaded on and are ready to hang
- Hang up your garland
I found that one of the younger children struggled with holding the potato (it was quite a big potato!) so we just did handprinting instead!
This looked like far too much fun for my little boy who decided that he wanted to do a spot of handprinting too…..
What a fun time we had! I hope you do too if you decide to have a go.
I must credit this idea to the blog, No Time For Flashcards which has some brilliant fun ideas for little ones… go check it out here